Friday, August 6, 2010

Update on the Summer thus far....

At the beginning of the summer I made a list of things that I hoped to do more of. This is the update on those things. Unfortunately, just like a new year's resolution, it hasn't turned out exactly as I would have hoped. You've probably guessed this since blogging was one of the things on the list and that obviously hasn't really happened. Well, first off, the summer is not over yet and I'm still working on it. This should be evident in the fact that I just posted not too long ago and this is in fact, another post...proof that I'm blogging more! Also, some of the things have happened and some of them have been pushed to the back burner as other, unforeseen things took the front ones.
Side note: I just realized how much I like that analogy. The fact that I'm always cooking for 10+ people means that I'm usually using all 4 burners on the stove and it's definitely true that the pots that need more attention are always in front. hmmmm. Nice job, analogy inventor man/woman.
So to go through the list, reading has not happened near as much as I would have liked it to. It's weird that it's one of my favorite hobbies yet one that gets neglected the most. I think it's because it's not usually something that I feel like I have to do, just something that I want to do. So the have-to's take precedence. Anyway, I have been reading Discipline by Elisabeth Elliot and it has been wonderful. Other than that, my reading is still in a slump.
Cooking, this has improved! I'm really excited because it's happening more and more each week. This is the first week in quite some time that I have actually done the requested 5 real meals a week and I think it will be happening more consistently in the rest of the summer and the fall. I have also been able to make more exciting meals again as I've had a little more time to plan them out. More on this later.
Bible study, this is really hard to confess to. I have not been doing a consistent Bible study at all this summer. It's terrible. I've been trying to keep God as the central focus of my life as hard as I can while neglecting to read His word near as much as I should. This is an oxymoron, if you were wondering. I'm changing this because it's utterly ridiculous.
Outdoor activities, another that started to happen and then altogether ceased. It's so flippin' hot! I started out the summer going a few bike rides with my boyfriend which were marvelous...but that hasn't happened real recently. We have been swearing all summer to go canoeing (is this a word?) and I still really, really hope we do. But, it is so hot that if we do this, it may be the last thing we ever do.
Working out, this is one that was going really good at the beginning and has since slacked off. I'm still hoping to get back to it. I do a lot better with this one when I have a more structured schedule to my week. It's kind of hard for me to just randomly work out whenever I have the chance, due to the fact that I'm diabetic and this is really disruptive to my blood sugar. My blood sugar has also been crazy lately which makes it harder all together. But, it can also be really good for my blood sugar if I do it consistently. So, it's still high on the list and will hopefully happen a lot this fall with (hopefully) the help of an insulin pump.
Fun, intentional, time with people I love, this has happened some. Every one's schedules are crazy in the summer so this has been a little tricky. But, I have been able to spend a lot of time with my boyfriend. Compared to how much time we get together during the year, it's amazing! I've been able to meet for an hour or so almost every week to sit down with Everly and Beth to discuss the book, Discipline, that we are reading together. This has been so, so incredibly good. I underestimated the significance of having time officially dedicated to discussing each other's lives and relationships with Christ compared to just being around each other each day. This has been fantastic. It's also been nice seeing more of the whole family since I'm not in school and most of my schedule involves the whole family. So if we're busy, we're busy together.
OK. That's the current update. I'm hoping to post later about my exciting find at World Market and what I'm making for lunch. So, ttfn!

1 comment:

Everly Pleasant said...

I totally agree about our weekly book studies...I should have known it would be this invigorating! However, I underestimated it too...we can't ever stop having this sort of designated fellowship!

And I am really looking forward to your next post!

Love you,
Everly