Friday, January 21, 2011

The Republic

We knocked another one off the list! Yesterday Donavon and I joined a pre-marital bible study and before hand he asked me if I would go to dinner with him. Obviously, that is not really a question and I said yes. He didn't tell me where we were going though so I knew it was going to be a bigger deal than just normal dinner. And it was! He took me to the Republic Steakhouse and it was wonderful! It was the one left on our list that I have been anticipating with the most excitement. The environment was very nice and fairly upscale but not snooty. We also sat in the more formal area. There is a bar area that is a little more casual. Apparently they have live music several nights a week and as we did not have room for dessert this time, we plan to go back and sit at the bar, listen to some music and have dessert. Our waiter was very nice and the service all around was great. It was not one of those places that is so quiet you have to whisper, but it was quiet enough to have an easy conversation. I liked that. Right after we sat down they took our drink order (I got san pelegrino which made me pretty excited, not gonna lie) and a few minutes later brought us French bread and delicious citrus-y butter. Then we ordered an appetizer of lump crab cakes. It was wonderful! It was a little tower of crab cake, bacon and chive potato blini (which I learned is a potato pancake, essentially), and spinach and drizzled around it was lemon beurre blanc, a yummy lemon sauce that we dipped every bite in. For our entrees, I ordered Pan Seared Wild Striped Bass which came with Three Cheese Herbed Risotto, Corn and Crab puree and Smoked Bacon Shallot Brussel Sprouts. The fish was good but not absolutely amazing. The sides on the other hand, were wonderful! Best risotto I've ever had and the Brussel Sprouts were different than I've ever seen and marvelous. The corn and crab puree was basically little pieces of crab meat in a creamy corn sauce, also good. Donavon ordered Pan Roasted Maine Diver Scallops which came with Pancetta Orzo, Savory Glazed Forest Mushrooms, Crispy Fried Potato nest, and had Blackberry Grastique drizzled around the edge of the plate. The Scallops were delicious and a little sweet. The Pancetta Orzo was fine but nothing compared to my risotto. The Fried Potato was yummy and interesting but not any different than you'd imagine fried potato being. The Forest Mushrooms were really good and different than any mushrooms I've ever had. They had a very fresh taste to them, opposed to the more earthy flavors I usually associate with mushrooms. The Blackberry Grastique was good and sweet. Also, the portions are very big for this kind of place. We got very full. Yes, it is a little expensive. Not the kind of place we can frequent unless it's for an appetizer, salad or dessert. It was not hands down the best meal I've ever had but everything was very good, some of it was amazing and we had a great time!

3 comments:

Beth said...

oh yay, you finally went :) I am so out of my element at that place, but it is quite delicious!

Beth said...

ahem. any news you'd like to share with your audience? :)

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

Everly Pleasant said...

You've been tagged, darling!
Everly