Sunday, January 16, 2011

My three day journey to a Mocha Torte


Photo 1. Parchment lined baking pans. I read that in order to line them you should cut out a square of paper a little larger than the pans. Fold it diagonally until it is in little triangles. Hold it with the tip pointed into the center and cut a round edge to fit the curve of the pan on the other end. Unfold and lay into the pans. I would warn you though, to make sure it is the perfect size and laying as flat as possible because mine ended up making bubbles on the bottom of my cakes.

Photo 2. Mixing the first of the ingredients.


Photo 3. My first ever double boiler!


Photo 4. Mixing in the dry ingredients.




Photo 6. Filling the pans.


Photo 7 and 8. All baked, a Vanilla sponge cake! The base for my torte.





Photo 9. Heating up the Kahlua syrup..mmmm


Photo 10. Painting the sponge cake with lots of syrup.


Photo 11 and 12. Spreading the Chocolate Italian Buttercream Frosting on the Sponge Cakes. (That was the hardest frosting I've ever made and never actually got it exactly right. I had to add powdered sugar to it in the end..I will try it again though. It was also the most delicious frosting I have ever had!)

The final product: A Mocha Torte! AKA Two Vanilla Sponge Cakes, painted in Coffee/Kahlua Syrup, Covered in Chocolate Italian Buttercream Frosting with Chocolate Covered Coffee Bean accents!



mmm mmm good!