Saturday, October 9, 2010

Julie and Julia

A few nights ago Beth, Everly, Fairlight and I watched the movie Julie and Julia. We had all seen it before but it was so worth watching again. It was the perfect movie for our girl's night. It's so cute! If you haven't seen it, it's the true story of a girl who decides to cook her way through Julia Child's book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a year and blog about it along the way. The movie takes her story and matches it with similar things that happened in the life of Julia Child many years earlier. I love it for several reasons. First off, obviously, it's all about food! It's about Julia Child, who was an amazing chef and her part of the story is so entertaining. And I love the dynamics between the two different couples. There are several scenes in the movie that remind me of Donavon and I. For one, we're always cooking together. But also, a lot of times I feel like I'm just as crazy and frazled as the female characters in the movie and he's just as sweet and level-headed as the husbands. :)

And, it's about blogging, which inspires me to do a better job here. It's an all around inspiring movie, even if you don't blog. If you haven't seen it, watch it. It's super cute, a true story, funny, and sweet. I must say, the fact that Julie cooked all of those recipes in one year while balancing a full-time job and a marriage is incredible! It's all I can do to make 5 meals most weeks and I'm not married or working full-time!

Now, watching this movie led to a couple other funny events for us..

The first one was that half way through the movie our dvd player stopped working. We were dead-set on watching this movie so that didn't stop us! We told our dad about the problem, because that's what we always do, and he said he could come help us in a minute but he was busy. So, we told him he didn't have to and we decided we were perfectly capable of fixing the problem. Ahem. We took the dvd out and cleaned it. It still skipped. We turned it all off and back on. It still skipped. We blew into the place the dvd goes in just like we used to do when playing Mario Bros on nintendo... and it still skipped. That was pretty much the extent of our ideas to fix the dvd player and none of them worked. So we eventually gave up on that and decided to watch it on the computer that's in the same room. Only, the computer is behind the couch. So we began the process of moving the computer and realized there were a lot of things plugged into it that we weren't so sure could be unplugged.. frankly, we didn't really know what all of it was. So...we decided to leave the computer where it was. This lead to our truly brilliant idea that I'm afraid our father was not expecting to be our solution when we walked in to check on us a few minutes later.....we moved the couch! It was a perfectly logical way to remedy our problem. And most importantly, it was one that didn't require being tech-savvy in the least! So eventually, after rearranging our entire den, we finished our movie!

Then I went to bed. I only thought the movie was over. Little did I know it would continue my head all night long. No, I didn't dream of the characters in the movie. Nor about if I was one of them. Nor about the way that Donavon and I are similar to them. What did I dream about all night long? The food. Yes, I spent all night literally tossing and turning over a recipe. I woke up multiple times out of frustration over my own Boef Bourguignon. If you don't know, that is beef stew that is discussed a lot throughout the movie. I dreamed and dreamed and dreamed about trying to make this recipe. The funny thing was, even in my dream I knew that I didn't really know how to make it. I do in fact have the Julia Child cook book that the movie is framed around( I used it just the other day to make yummy baked cucumbers!), so I do have the Boef Bourguignon recipe. But, for some odd reason, I was not using it in my dream. My dream was more of a half-awake kind of dream where most of the time I knew I was laying in bed and just thinking about this recipe. But that's what was so frustrating! I would think and think and think about it, trying to decide if I had enough mushrooms etc. only to remember that I was not going to figure it out by thinking about it while laying in bed! When I woke the next morning I couldn't believe I had lost so much sleep by stressing in my half-conscious way about Boeuf Bourguignon. I believe I shall have to try this recipe now that it haunts me so.

Cheers,

Sabrina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.